Consumer BCI technology is distinct from normal BCI technology in that it has a different set of priorities. BCI technology was for a long time restricted to research labs, and was cost prohibitive for any consumer purpose. With the maturing of EEG technology and new manufacturing processes for electrodes, a consumer-level price point is now achievable. For a more general background of BCI technology see here. Some Advantages/Drawbacks are taken from the EEG page .
- Be available for a cost accesible to the average consumer.
- Read brainwaves and use them to provide reliable input into a computer.
- Determine emotional response through brain waves.
- Display real-time EEG data.
- Easy to use with dry electrodes.
- Low-Cost (Neurosky Mindwave available for under $100). 
- Non-invasive, consumers do not want a surgically implanted prothetic for what is an entertainment device.
- Easy to use, normally implemented in an ergonomic headset design
- Well understood from its long history in the medical field
- Brings theraputic effects to the mass market (Meditation improvement, sleep pattern checking).
- Available at different levels of complexity/price to suit individual needs.
- Quality of data is low compared to semi-Invasive (ECG) and invasive (Neuroprosthesis) methods.
- As a result, limited output channels (with bad data, trying to use too many channels will lead to overlap of commands and decrease in reliability of BCI).
- Accuracy of raw data with regards to actual nature of signals is disputed (separate to low quality of data, as training can hide this problem for gaming/control purposes, however for any diagnostic application, a device such as that in the video is completely useless). This is also a result of our limited understanding of brain waves .
- Safety issues still exist, and cost-cutting can increase risk.
- Limited by software interpretation of data.
- Neurosky - Low cost C-BCI targeted under $100
- Emotiv Systems -- Mid-range C-BCI at the $500 price range
- g.tec - High cost C-BCI at the $10,000 price range
The flagship product for each brand (Neurosky Brainwave, Emotiv Insight, g.tec Intendi.x) will be tested in the Engineering design process to place a quantitative evaulation on their respective quality.
Below is a quick summary of the key specifcations of three major C-BCI products.
|No. of Electrodes||Number of Output Channels||Accuracy (compared to medical EEG).||Cost||Raw EEG available|
|Neurosky Brainwave||1||2||96% ||$99||Y|
|Emotiv Insight||5||4||Not Given||$500||N|
Full 10-20 Mapping available.